Know all about Swamitva Yojana
- Context: On Panchayati Raj Diwas (April 24th), the Prime Minister of India launched ‘Swamitva Yojana’ or Ownership Scheme to map residential land ownership in the rural sector using modern technology like the use of drones.
- The scheme is piloted by the Panchayati Raj ministry
Minister of Rural Development, Agriculture and Farmers Welfare & Panchayati Raj–Shri Narendra Singh Tomar
To mark this occasion of National Panchayati Raj Diwas Prime Minister has launched a unified e-GramSwaraj portal and a mobile app.
Download the app-e-Gram Swaraj App
Benefits of the scheme:
- The delivery of property rights through an official document will help villagers to access bank finance using their property as collateral.
- The property records for a village will be maintained at the Panchayat level, thus it will allow the collection of associated taxes from the owners. The money generated from these local taxes will be used to build rural infrastructure and facilities.
- Freeing the residential properties including land of title disputes and the creation of an official record is likely to increase the market value of the properties.
- The accurate property records can be used for smooth tax collection, new building and structure plan, issuing of permits and for thwarting attempts at property grabbing.
Need for and significance of the scheme:
The need for the Swamitva Yojana was felt since several villagers in the rural areas don’t have papers proving ownership of their land. In most states, survey and measurement of the populated areas in the villages has not been done for the purpose of attestation/verification of properties. The new scheme will be a tool for empowerment and entitlement, reducing social strife on account of discord over properties.
Some Important GK Pointer Related to Panchayat Raj System
- Balwant Rai Mehta Committee was made for Panchayati Raj system in India; which submitted its report in 1957.
- Three tier system is arranged i.e. Gram Panchayat, Panchayat Samiti and Zila Parishad.
- The Gram Panchayat is established on the basis of direct election.
- Panchayati Raj was established in India by Jawahar Lal Nehru.
- The Panchayati Raj system was established in Rajasthan (2 October 1959) after which Andhra Pradesh adopted this system.
- Main purpose behind the panchayat Raj system-Decentralization of power to connect the masses with politics
- Election of the Panchayati Raj institutions is conducted under the guidance of the State Election Commission.
- One-third posts (for both the member and the chief) are reserved for women.