In this article we will provide a list of important river dams in India including PDF for SSC,UPSC and other competitive govt job exams like SBI,IBPS,RRB NTPC,RRB Group D,SEBI,NABARD,LIC etc.Important question on dams are repeatedly asked in General Knowledge sections of the competitive examinations.The pdf file of the list of important river dams in India will be provided at the bottom of the article.Let’s learn.
Know Some Basics of Dams
What is a Dam?
A dam is a barrier to store,retain or controls the river water,lake,estuary or underground flow for various purposes such as domestic, industrial and irrigation etc.
Types of Dams
- According to use dams are three types
- Storage Dams
- Diversion Dams
- Detention Dams
- According to materials used dams are classified into two types
- Rigid Dams
- Non Rigid Dams
Rigid Dams are further classified as
- Gravity Dams:Created by concrete or stone masonry and designed to hold back water and resist horizontal pressure of water.
- Arch Dams:Solid Concrete curved upstream dams.
- Steel Dams:Made of steels,timber or construction materials.
- Buttress Dams:The dams are characterized by water tight upstream side and series of buttress at the downstream side.
- Earth Dams: Created by semi-plastic mound of soil,clay,sand,rock etc.
Difference Between Dam and Reservoir
- Dams are created for hydroelectric power generation,industrial water supply,domestic drinking water supply and irrigation purposes.
- Reservoirs around the dams are used for recreation areas for fishing and boating.Thus it boosts local economical activities.
- Dams are beneficial in mitigating and controlling floods in the region.
|Type||Name of the Dam||River|
|Highest Dam in India||Tehri Dam||Bhagirathi River,Uttarakhand|
|Highest Dam in the World||Jinping-I Dam||Yalong River,China|
|Longest Dam in India||Hirakud Dam||Mahanadi River,Odisha|
|Longest Dam in the World||Three Gorges Dam||Yangtze River,China|
|Largest Dam in India||Tehri Dam||Bhagirathi River,Uttarakhand|
|Largest Dam in the World||Kariba Dam( water storage capacity)|
Three Gorges Dam(Installed capacity)
|Name of the Dam||Situation|
|Somasila Dam||Pennar River,Andhra Pradesh|
|Srisailam Dam||Krishna River,Andhra Pradesh|
|Ukai Dam||Tapti River,Gujarat|
|Dharoi Dam||Sabarmati River,Gujarat|
|Sardar Sarovar Dam||Narmada River,Gujarat|
|Bhakra Nangal Dam||Sutlej River,Himachal Pradesh|
|Nathpa Jhakri Dam||Sutlej River,Himachal Pradesh|
|Pong Dam or Maharana Pratap Sagar Dam||Beas River,Himachal Pradesh|
|Bhakra Dam||Sutlej River,Himachal Pradesh|
|Baglihar Dam||Chenab River,Jammu and Kashmir|
|Salal Dam||Chenab River,Jammu and Kashmir|
|Indus River,Jammu and Kashmir|
|Jhelum River,Jammu and Kashmir|
|Maithon Dam||Barakar River,Jharkhand|
|Panchet Dam||Damodar River,Jharkhand|
|Tunga Bhadra Dam||Tungabhadra River,Karnataka|
|Alamatti Dam||Krishna River,Karnataka|
|Krishna Raja Sagara|
|Idukki Dam||Periyar River,Kerala|
|Mullaperiyar Dam||Periyar River,Kerala|
|Neyyar Dam||Neyyar River,Kerala|
|Gandhi Sagar Dam||Chambal River,Madhya Pradesh|
|Indira Sagar Dam||Narmada River,Madhya Pradesh|
|Omkareshwar Dam||Narmada River,Madhya Pradesh|
|Koyna Dam||Koyna River,Maharashtra|
|Jayakwadi Dam||Godavari River,Maharashtra|
|Ujani Dam||Bhima River,Maharashtra|
|Ranjit Sagar Dam or Thein dam||Ravi River,Punjab|
|Rana Pratap Sagar Dam||Chambal River,Rajasthan|
|Jawahar Sagar Dam||Chambal River,Rajasthan|
|Indravati Dam||Indravati River,Odisha|
|Hirakud Dam||Mahanadi River,Odisha|
|Vaigai Dam||Vaigai River,Tamil Nadu|
|Mettur Dam||Cauvery River,Tamil Nadu|
|Nagarjuna Sagar Dam||Krishna River,Telengana|
|Tehri Dam||Bhagirathi River,Uttarakhand|
|Koteshwar Dam||Bhagirathi River,Uttarakhand|
|Farakka dam||Ganga River,West Bengal|
The article is written to guide all the candidates who are preparing for Important dams in India gk.
All the best.