India developed it’s first indigenous COVID-19 vaccine COVAXIN
COVAXIN is developed by
- Hyderabad based Bharat Biotech (Bio-Safety Level 3)
- Pune based National Institute of Virology (Bio-Safety Level 3) under Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR)
What is Bio-safety Level?
A Bio-safety level (BSL), or Pathogen Protection level, is biocontainment precautions level which is required to isolate dangerous pathogens in an enclosed laboratory.The Bio-safety level or Pathogen Protection level is categorized into four level. These are P1,P2,P3,P4. Where P1 is the lowest level of Bio-safety level and P4 is the highest level of Bio-safety level.
COVAXIN is an inactivated Vaccine.
What is the Achievements?
- The team accelerated its objective to complete the comprehensive pre-clinical studies.
- The result of the studies show the promising, safe and effective immune responses.
- The approval of the Drug Controller General of India CDSCO (The Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation) and Ministry of Health & Family Welfare is granted permission for Phase one & Phase two Human clinical trials.
- The vaccine will passe through cost-effective trails for commercial production before the final vaccine is made available for the patients.
ZyCoV-D is the second vaccine made in India through indigenous effort.
ZyCoV-D is developed by
Ahmedabad-based Zydus Cadila Healthcare Ltd
What is the Achievements?
- Zydus Cadila Healthcare Ltd claimed that the vaccine candidate did not show vector response.
- The company also claimed that the vaccine has much-improved stability and lower cold chain requirements thus it will be easier for transportation of vaccine to remotest parts of the country.
- Zydus Cadila also got an approval from the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) for human clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine.
There are also some other companies like Pune based Serum Institute of India, New Delhi based Panacea biotech are in the leading race in COVID-19 vaccine formulation.
The status of Vaccines around the world
Here are some major breakthroughs in recent times
- USA based drug company Pfizer informed that they are in some positive developments.
- Germany based biotech firm BioNTech also spurred positive immune responses in their trials.
- Scientists of the University of Oxford already have achieved a breakthrough in vaccine (AZD1222) trails.
- Chinese company Sinopharm claims about 100% antibody response in their vaccine trails.
- Another Chinese company Sinovac Biotech’s COVID-19 vaccine is proved to be successful in clinical trials.
Apart from these, there are more than 100 Pharmaceutical companies are working in the developments of COVID-19 vaccines.