- Varunastra is the heavyweight anti-submarine torpedo launched by DRDO. It is India’s first heavyweight torpedo.
- Varunastra was developed by the BDL, Vishakhapatnam Unit of Indian Navy.
- It can be deployed in both shallow and deep-water environment.
- The weight 1500 kilograms.
- Operational range is 40 kilometres.
- The maximum speed is 74 kilometre per hour.
- Varunastra is the only torpedo in the world to have a GPS based locating aid.
- Capable of carrying a warhead of 250 kilograms.
- The torpedo is powered by Silver oxide zinc battery.
Note: BDL is the production agency of DRDO.